Hakim Ziyech has not ruled out the possibility of leaving Chelsea during the January transfer window.
The 29-year-old has struggled to make an impact at Stamford Bridge since joining for £33.3 million from Ajax in 2020, and he has had a challenging start to the new season after starting just two games for Chelsea before the World Cup break.
Ziyech was heavily linked to leaving Chelsea during the summer transfer window. AC Milan, Tottenham, and Manchester United were all said to be interested in the midfielder.
In recent weeks, there have also been calls for the Moroccan international to return to Ajax.
After Morocco’s 0-0 draw with Croatia on Wednesday, Ziyech responded to a question from NOS by saying that it was difficult to predict whether he would return to the Eredivisie in the January transfer window.
What will occur in the winter is a mystery to us. It’s hard to say because it’s football.
Last month, Dutch legend Marco van Basten likewise urged Ziyech to leave Chelsea, claiming that the Premier League team has too many players on staff.
It is unfortunate and shameful, Van Basten told Ziggo Sport. As a player, Ziyech excels. We watch TV for players like that because we have to see them, and then we travel to the stadium to see them.
It is unfortunate for football as a whole that he is sitting on the sidelines. It is bad for football if these players are not given playing time.
There ought to be a restriction on the number of players that clubs can have.
As a result, Chelsea has an excessive number, which lessens the appeal of football. For the fans’ entertainment, a player like Ziyech could simply play at another club.
The 29-year-old has had a difficult start to the new season after starting just one game for Chelsea. Since his £33.3 million move from Ajax in 2020, he has struggled to make an impact.
Ziyech considered leaving Chelsea during the summer transfer window when the names of AC Milan, Tottenham, and Manchester United were all associated with the Moroccan international.